(LONG) Bigfoot Is Dead

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Dec 19 01:55:24 EST 2002

Michael Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.186ae0bc80937875989682 at news.olympus.net>...
> In article <6dafee1b.0212181033.3e1d6c08 at posting.google.com>,
> dwheeler at ipns.com says...
> > From The Oregonian, Dec. 6, 2002, p A1
> >
> > Bighoax: The abominable truth can finally be told
> > The family of Ray L. Wallace goes public with his monstrous prank
> > after his death at age 84
> >
> snip good stuff, not all true
>
> Ray was a joker and an original character. However, I seriously doubt
> his "confession" will sway true Bigfoot devotees pro or con.  I
> recommend Robert Michael Pyle's book, Where Bigfoot Walks, for a good
> holiday read.  Many native people take BF seriously. I've been warned
> about the big guy myself when cruising certain tribal forestlands.
The original article of the Lost Cabin Mine would have placed the
location near either Mt. Adams or Mt. St. Helens (which also has an
"Ape Cave"). The story was that after finding a rich placer deposit,
several miners woke up to large rocks bouncing through their log-cabin
from large ape-like creatures on the cliff-top above. The cabin roof
was largely demolished, the men fled for their lives, leaving a cache
of placer gold in or near the cabin site.

I wouldn't have believed this rather fanciful story, had I not found a
site remarkably similar to the story's description near Mt. St.
Helens. That site had large boulders readily available. I stood on a
rocky promontory and looked straight down nearly 150 feet. The site
was completely hidden (even today, after the eruption of Mt. St.
Helens) by old-growth trees which were about 3 feet in diameter only
feet away from where I was standing.

Another factor in the original tale was a waterfall. There was such a
waterfall nearby, but totally obscured by old-growth trees. I could
only view parts of the falls through the dense forest. The canyon is
only about 1/2 to 2/3 mile across at the point I stood on the
promontory, but easily 1,500-2,000 feet deep! Definately not a place
for the casual rock hound to venture into.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com