TEAMS Enterprise update and outreach

mhagen mhagen at olympus.net
Fri Feb 1 12:18:45 EST 2002

I worked on the old Eldorado too - 1971, back when Tahoe basin was still in
it.  This is a tough question, for all the usual reasons people have a hard
time talking about the FS.  The question of whether or not the FS makes
economic sense is meaningless - it was never supposed to and likely breaking
even on a national scale is the best it can do.  I happened to work for them
when they were making a profit - at least on the timber rich forests - and
that era is now looked on as  a disaster. A period of "capture" by industry.
Decide what the agency's mission is and then you can start finding ways for
it to pay for itself  - if that is really what anybody wants. Frankly I
don't see anyone paying for ecosystem services like clean water or air for a
long while.  Those are entitlements in the eyes of the counties and cities
that are benefiting from them.

news:e_e68.10660$By6.1198147 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...