TEAMS job update and outreach

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Feb 22 06:54:53 EST 2002

Larry Harrell wrote:

> In Region 5 of the US Forest Service, TEAMS (Timber Experts And Measurements
> Services) will be hiring both temporary and permanent positions this spring.
> There will be several permanent seasonal

permanent seasonal? I think there are also lots of "permanent seasonal" jobs
available picking lettuce in California, too.

> GS-0462-5, 6, 7 appointments that
> will be open to the public. This is a perfect position for a forestry grad
> or a longtime temporary to get his/her foot in the door. Also, this position
> will allow you to move up non-competetively

non-competetively?

> when you meet the specs. Keep
> watching the OPM website at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/a6.htm to see when it
> opens.
>
> I think there may also be a couple of professional Forester trainee
> positions coming up as well.

How can you tell by looking at someone that they're a "professional forester"?
Do they have that uppity look of a doctor, lawyer, architect, engineer or other
real professional? Oh, only after joining the SAF?

> Temporary positions will be filled from the
> Temp hiring system based in Boise. It is important that you put Sequoia
> National Forest as your preference for temporary work. "Duty Stations" are
> "virtual" in that you are almost always in travel status, getting "per diem"
> and lodging paid for. Travel status policies are 21 work days on then, home
> for a week. There is always plenty of overtime available, too.

Amazing that you have to scheme and scam to get those jobs. That's what happens
when the "forestry profession" doesn't have the smarts to shut down some
forestry schools.

> TEAMS is a growing "Enterprise" within Region 5's "Reinvention Lab". We do
> all kinds of natural resource projects, bidding on government projects and
> operating like a private business with no funding from Congress.

No funding from Congress? But, where does the money come from for those
government projects?

> TEAMS has
> both a Planning side and an Implementation side.
>
> This is the biggest opportunity to come along in a long time within the
> Forest Service. If you are highly skilled or educated in natural resources,

most have one or the other but not both

> or just have a serious desire to get your boot in the door,

and many will never get more than their boot in that door

--
cynically,
Joe Zorzin