TEAMS job update and outreach

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Mon Feb 25 23:26:57 EST 2002

Karl Frisch <karl at gis.nmt.edu> wrote in message
news:3C7A5D62.1ADA8F65 at gis.nmt.edu...
> Larry Harrell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm rather
> > proud of the stands of trees I've "sculpted" by picking and plucking
> > individual trees, leaving the biggest and the best trees more healthy
and
> > more fire resistant.
>
> Hmmm but is "more fire resistant" necessarily a natural state? Is there
> room for catastrophic fires in establishing a "pre-settlement fire
> regime?" (Something that Covington and Moore et al have problems with)

There will always be plenty of catastrophic fires in the future. No matter
how wide a firebreak is or how widely spaced the trees are, a wind-driven
fire will burn it all up. (I saw where a smaller fire jumped a two lane
road, the Truckee River, two sets of railroad tracks and 4 lanes of
Interstate 80, back to back to back.) Add into that, the stream buffers,
RNA's and PAC's and other "set asides" that will remain overstocked and
susceptible to drought, bugs and diseases. Also, are non-salvage helicopter
logging shows gone forever on USFS lands?

Pines have evolved many different strategies for surviving fires. Before the
white man came to the west, it was estimated that 12-14% of California
burned every year. Part of the Stanislaus National Forest has burned 11
times in the last 100 years (Even with man's fire suppression activities).

> <snip>
>
> > BTW, we don't just do "timber" projects. We surveyed for Northern
Goshawks
> > and found quite a few.
>
> Did you use a squawk box? or did you vocally "gek" for goshawks?

We went with the one-year calling protocols, using taped bird calls. (Once,
when our equipment failed, I attempted to use flagging but, results were
inconclusive <G> ) The last 8 days, we found a bird everyday.

> > I also enjoyed computer mapping Giant Sequoias.
>
> GIS? Who would have thunk it.

I was pretty fascinating looking at the aerial photos of some of the Giant
Sequoia groves in the new Sequoia National Monument. Some of the groves, in
the photos dated 1985 and 1986, showed recent logging activity within. It
would be quite interesting to go back and see how many little Sequoias haved
seeded in. It was pretty tough to transfer tiny points on a photo of one
scale to a GIS layer of another scale, layered over an orthophoto from a
different year.

> > Instead of just talking about how our forests should be, join TEAMS and
take
> > it into your own hands.
>
> Shouldn't one determine what the end product should be before
> undertaking the project?
>
> Karl

In TEAMS, we only contract to do what the National Forest and Ranger
District want. We faithfully follow the contract and environmental
documents. I always stress to my people that they have to be able to defend
their woods decisions within the context of the EIS/EA of every project. It
IS incredibly important for the USFS to strictly follow it's own rules when
preparing a project. I've always encouraged outsiders to come and look at my
work, pick it apart and maybe even learn something new. What is more
important to the USFS is to earn back the trust of the American people.
Something we may not see in our lifetimes, unfortunately.

Larry

--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
New version of "Virtual Yosemite"!!