DEVASTATING IMPACT ON CANADA SEEN FROM U.S. TIMBER DUTIES

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Jan 17 12:20:01 EST 2002

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in message news:<3C34582D.5C182F7E at forestmeister.com>...

> The US timber business has had it easy in past times, and was
> clearly a sort of welfare recipient, having ripped off forests
> owners from coast to coast to coast, including many below cost
> timber sales on public land. Now that they are finding that they
> have to pay a fair price (some of the time)- they can't compete with
> the Canadian mills, who are still cutting big timber- the American
> mills having wasted most of the US big timber from coast to coast
> and having done little in the way of promoting timber management-
> having always had the "cut out and get out" mentality.

I don't understand where the USA is getting its logs.  You may be
surprised, but almost no timber has been cut on public land for a
decade.  In Oregon, only 69 million board feet were sold by the USFS
last year, and due to lawsuits only 1,600,000 board feet were actually
cut.  This is off of 2.6 million acres of national forest land.  Less
than a board foot per acre per year.

In Montana, the salvage of the burned timber from the big fires has
been mired in lawsuits.  25 million board feet of timber will rot
before it can be harvested.

Industrial forest land is being managed balls-to-the-wall for timber
production to meet demand.  Further increase in private timber cutting
is not possible.

We desperately need Canadian logs.