Fungi fd. 26 Jan. 2002 at Clackamas Co., OR

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Sat Jan 26 21:19:30 EST 2002

Went to Paul Bishop Sr.'s Jone's Creek Tree farm today, and harvested
the following:

about 1.5 pounds of Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum, Tuber gibbosum var.
autumnale, and Tuber murinum.

Hymenogaster cf. parksii
Barrsia oregonenisis (immature)
Inocybe sororia

It's interesting that many of the large truffles (up to 2.5 inches
diameter) found today came from a small area which was well searched
last weekend. Yet by searching another 1-3 inches deeper, I found many
more large truffles.

As I write this, snow is falling fairly well outside, with the
pavement covered at this time. News forecasts suggest it will
accumulate to perhaps 1-3 inches today, but should melt tomorrow.
That's good, since it should insulate any developing truffles for
perhaps another month or so, assuming we don't get temperatures below
25 degrees F.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com