NTFPs in B.C.

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Wed Jul 17 11:51:35 EST 2002

sudnif at gmx.de (findus) wrote in message news:<ed439734.0207161331.17e4b3b2 at posting.google.com>...
> I am developing a strategic NTFP plan for a specific area at the
> coast, and Mushrooms are certainly one interest area. But I am also
> looking for other ideas or potential markets.
As are many other people.

Get "Dancing with an Elephant. Proceedings: The Business and Science
of Special Forest Products, A Conference and Exposition, Jan. 26-27,
1994, Hillsboro, Oregon." There are other sources as well. I would
strongly encourage obtaining the last 12 years (48 issues) of
Mushroom, the Journal of Wild Mushrooming as well. These are perhaps
the best documented historic sources of NTFPs from the PNW, which
would certainly include large areas of BC as well.
> Are you in the mushrooms
> buisness?
I considered growing shiitaken (Lentinula edodes) commercially back in
1992, but that fizzled out. I still believe there is considerable
potential there, as a single cord of Red alder inoculated with
Lentinula edodes should produce $9,000-$12,000 US with mushrooms at
$4/lb. Current retail prices of shiitake are closer to $10/lb, so I
don't think the above prices are out of range.

Many people early on thought only Oregon White oak (Quercus garryana)
could be used for shiitake bedlogs, but this has been shown incorrect.
If you are willing to take a loss of 10% of total mushroom production,
you can also harvest bedlogs year-round. That means literally deciding
how much income you need for determining how many cords of wood you
will inoculate.

Most commercial mushroom growers now use only space-bag culture
(2-liter polyprophylene bags filled with 3-lb. of fresh-chipped
sawdust or chips plus .3-lb chopped straw or bran, plus minor amounts
of mollasus and a calcium source.

Also included with shiitake today would be oyster mushroom (Pleurotus
ostreatus), Maitake or hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa), Ling Zhi
(Ganoderma lucidum) and other mushrooms. The major market for these
fungi appears to be medicinal as well as food.

Then, of course, there are the expensive mycorrhizal species including
truffles, matsutake, chanterelles, and boletus to name but a few.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com