Wildfire overruns crew

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Jul 29 12:28:16 EST 2002

Michael Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.17ab2485f425877c989686 at news.olympus.net>...
> Fire behavior this year is beyond what most firefighters or overhead
> have ever experienced. Blue card crews are picked up when regular staff
> is overloaded and may have experienced less fire time than they should
> by this point in the season. On the other hand, many contract crews are
> made up of very experienced firefighters who simply chose not to be in
> the circus.  I'd say these guys and the pilot are damn lucky either way.
I'd have to agree with that assessment as well.

The winds at several current Oregon fires are rather strong. The fires
they burn near become blast-furnaces. Maybe that's why some Native
Americans along the Columbia River actually built elementary blast
furnaces where the prevailing winds could supply a natural bellows
effect.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com