Low-calorie chestnuts are poised for marketplace

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Sat Jun 15 01:37:49 EST 2002

mh <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote in message news:<3D0A134C.1010601 at olympus.net>...
[snip]
> dan,
> What does a ton of chestnuts sell for?  Age to maturity?   There are so
> many cutover lands going to Bigleaf Maple around here I have to wonder
> about a more productive hardwood.
If you live in a Mediterranean climate (such as the Pacific Northwest)
chestnut regeneration can occur at over 1,000 feet elevation and on
well-drained slopes. In fact, the better drained, the more likely that
chestnut blight will not be a management factor.

I don't know what the current value for chestnuts is per pound. But
Russel J. Smith's Tree Crops has an excellent section on chestnuts.

Did you know that Bigleaf maple can grow shiitake (Lentinula edodes)?
In fact, you can cut most hardwoods anytime of the year if you are
willing to accept a 10-15% reduction in total mushroom production.
Since maple bark sloughs off quickly, it is generally considered best
if you harvest maple bedlogs during the winter or late fall, when
there are no leaves on the trees. But by keeping humidity high where
inoculated logs are stored, it is possible to have at least 1-2 crops
of mushrooms before losing significant portions of the bark. And the
first 2 crops of mushrooms are always the largest for shiitake.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com