Sauteed Maitake Mushrooms with Garlic, Parsley and Shallots

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Wed Jun 26 12:03:31 EST 2002

>From The Oregonian's FOODday, June 25, 2002, p FD7

Sauteed Maitake Mushrooms with Garlic, Parsley and Shallots
Makes 4 appetizer servings

6 ounces maitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons olie oil
- Salt and pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced

	Pull apart maitake mushrooms into small florest and set aside.
	Heat the oil. Saute the mushrooms in the oil for 15 seconds and add
salt and pepper to taste.
	Gently stir in parsley, shallot and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.

- The Green Dude

Comment by poster: there may be some question why I posted this to
bionet.agroforestry, but it makes a lot of sense. Maitake (Grifola
frondosa) is often found in hardwood (and some conifer) forests. It is
also possible to cultivate it there. Specimens of over 30 pounds are
known.

Maitake can be easily dried and stored for later use, especially if
powdered. I powder mine in a food processor on high for perhaps 3
minutes. It is necessary to let the processor stand for another 2-3
minutes after powdering to let the dust settle. I store mine in a
zip-lock bag in the freezer.

Maitake is also good in soups, salads, casseroles, sauces and
omelettes.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com