SoCal bugs

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Fri Oct 11 17:40:31 EST 2002

In article <7a90c754.0210110300.65b11285 at posting.google.com>,
lhfotoware at hotmail.com writes:

> SAN BERNARDINO, Calif.(AP) - Thousands of trees infested by beetles
> have died and pose a major fire danger to the mountain resorts of the
> San Bernardino National Forest unless they are cut down and removed,
> fire officials and forestry experts said.

> State forestry officials estimate at least 35,000 trees, mostly pines,
> have died recently from beetle infestations.

We have a major bark beetle infestation going on all over the west
because of two years of drought.  The trees don't have enough moisture to
pitch them out.  Even well established, mature stands are dying.
Overcrowded stands in need of thinning have been particularly hard hit
because of competition between trees for available moisture.

Private landowners are doing a lot of salvage thinning.  The feds, of
course, are doing nothing.

--
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can
bribe the people with their own money."