Fungi as additional tree crops

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Oct 17 00:13:43 EST 2002

While purchasing maitake (Grifola frondosa) today at a local farmer's
market, I also saw some nice Cantharellus formosus, aka Western
chanterelle. Since I haven't found many of these, I asked the guy
running the operation where they came from, and found out a farmer was
irrigating a field nearby, and was also irrigating some of the trees
on his property. The chanterelles were fruiting in response to this
irrigation. While I kind of wonder if the chanterelle production is
paying him for his irrigation costs, it is an interesting concept.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com