Chanterelles as secondary crop of trees

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Oct 17 00:17:22 EST 2002

While purchasing maitake today at a farmer's market, I saw some nice
chanterelles (Cantharellus formosus).  Since it has been dry and not
many chanterelles are actually mature, I asked where the ones offered
came from. I was told they were originating near a farmer's field that
was being irrigated (pasture, maybe?). Some of the water was going
into his trees. The chanterelles were fruiting in response to the
water.

While I doubt the chanterelles are providing enough income to offset
the costs of irrigation, it is an interesting concept to water fields
and harvest the resulting chanterelles for additional income. First
time I've actually been able to document that.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com