Forest thinning helps reduce fires

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Sep 19 00:28:33 EST 2002

lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0209181458.1814813e at posting.google.com>...
[snip]
> Man has ben "compromising" the forest for millenia. Especially since
> the white man came. Now, further compromise has to be done in order to
> restore our forests. The compromise being that we have to balance the
> need to reduce fuels economically while keeping the ecosystems intact
> and on the road to restoration. The debate is where, when and how.
> Along with the multitude of different microsites come the multitude of
> management treatments.
Until the last 200 years, only individual trees were typically cut
down. Even those trees were sawn or chopped only with great
difficulty. But after the advent of the chain saw and internal
combustion motor, falling acres of trees became a reality. It is the
wholesale clearcutting of forests without knowledge of how to grow
those trees that is the danger.

Mycorrhizal fungi are considered the fifth requirement to grow trees.
The vast majority of these remain uncultivated at this time. Most
which are cultivated will keep trees alive, but not growing rapidly
(i.e. Glomus sps, which also associated with other plants).

> The real crux of the "Healthy Forests" plan is that it will depend on
> experienced, quality timber markers, who make the real decisions out
> in the woods. Unfortunately, there is a distinct lack of that kind of
> experience in the BLM and USFS. Workers at the GS-9 level and lower
> have been downsized during the 90's (While those above have been
> "up-sized" to deal with all the NEPA paperwork and such). I don't see
> Bush wanting to expand government to deal with the problem. I'm sure
> he's not even AWARE of the problem (details, details, eh?). Marking
> the "RIGHT" trees to be cut or left is truly the most important issue.

While the above point is important, it is immaterial. There can be no
effective forestry without mycorrhizal fungi. That of course also
includes most animals as well as other organisms found in forests.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com