Beetles attack Santa Fe pine forests

Donald L Ferrt wolfbat359 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 2 09:10:14 EST 2003

"Don Staples" <dstaplesx at livingston.net> wrote in message news:<vsmon4dkieg0dc at corp.supernews.com>...
> "Donald L Ferrt" <wolfbat359 at mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:b9eb3efe.0311301104.3e0899ff at posting.google.com...
> > "Don Staples" <dstaplesx at livingston.net> wrote in message
>  news:<vshjqfmg9nb720 at corp.supernews.com>...
> > > "quibbler" <quibbler247 at atyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Please inform us on beetle ecology
>
> I am sorry, do you have some aversion to doing your own research?  It is
> really very simple, even for you or any one else to lazy to try to learn a
> little about a subject before they jump off into a discussion.

No ole wise one = You tell me what this has to do with the Tongass!

Or any other place = aka could be global warming:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/story.asp?id=646E1746-A7DE-40A8-8739-B7BF4BE558A8

excerpt:

Stoked by a string of mild B.C. winters, the mountain pine beetle has
emerged has one of the insect kingdom's deadly superstars.

>From 2002 to 2003, the area of beetle-infested pine forests in B.C.
more than doubled to 4.2 million hectares. In recent, full-page
newspaper ads, the B.C. government warns that $20 billion in timber
value is at risk of being lost.

The Interior's timber supply will be disturbed for up to 80 years,
more than 30 forest-reliant communities are affected and dead,
dried-out trees heighten the risk of fire.

"This is a war and to be blunt it's a war we're losing," Premier
Gordon Campbell said during a beetle summit in Quesnel this month. The
province plans to release an action plan on battling the epidemic
early in the new year.

Things may get much worse if the bug continues to enjoy mild winters
that let it penetrate new areas.

The beetle has reached the northeastern slopes of the Rockies north of
Jasper -- an area not far from where lodgepole pine mingles with jack
pine, says Allan Carroll, an insect ecologist with the Canadian Forest
Service's Pacific Forestry Centre in Victoria. The beetle is happy to
eat jack pine, Carroll said.

If winters continue warming over the next 50 years, the beetle could
enter the jack pine stands of Canada's boreal forest -- a strip
extending from the Yukon to New Brunswick.

"It has the potential to move there," Carroll said of the boreal
threat.

"Whether it can expand quickly enough to get there in the next 50
years, I can't answer."

Vigilance is the most effective tool available to B.C. in fighting the
beetle's spread, Carroll said. Vigilance means identifying small
beetle infestations, quickly diverting logging operations to the
infested zone or conducting small clearcuts.

The effectiveness of clearcuts, however, has been challenged by
environmentalist groups such as the David Suzuki Foundation.

One of the biggest challenges in controlling the beetle is to reach an
infestation quickly enough, Carroll said. Beetles go on the attack in
mid to late summer.

By early fall, they've overwhelmed a pine's defences and dug tunnels
for their larvae. The tree is then effectively dead -- even though its
needles may stay green until the next summer.

Phero Tech markets pheromone baits that use chemical attractors to
encourage beetles to stay in an area until it can be logged.

B.C. is blessed -- and beset -- with an over-abundance of mature
lodgepole pine, Carroll said.

In the long term, the best way to manage beetle populations is to
break up lodgepole pine tracts into diverse tree species of mixed age,
he said.