TEAMS website now available?

mhagen replyto at group.only
Wed Dec 24 12:20:31 EST 2003

Larry Harrell wrote:

> "Joe Zorzin" <super-stud at forestmeister.com> wrote in message news:<vug74k3nlhldc2 at corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>"Larry Harrell" <lhfotoware at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:7a90c754.0312221148.8caeec9 at posting.google.com...
>>
>>>Stands exams, for example, are one of the types of projects that
>>>private industry can do much cheaper than we can.
>>

>>Why is that? Because they hire green foresters (no pun intended) and pay
>>them slave wages?
>>

> Yeppers....been there and done that. I did the old "hack and squirt"
> with Tordon outside of Orleans, CA, about this time of year, too. We
> camped out, too! Treeplanting, as well. 1200 trees is my personal
> daily record with containerized trees. Others got even more.
>
> While I was in South Carolina, I was helping out the Contracting
> Officer's Representative (he lurks here <G> ) inspecting stand exam
> plots. The contractor hired two young bucks who worked their butts off
> in stifling heat and humidity getting 25-30 plots per day. Of course
> they got paid by the plot and so did the contractor. I'll bet they
> split it 50-50, with the contractor not having to do anything but pay
> the kids their half. I tried very hard to be tough on them but, not
> knowing all 40+ tree species myself, I couldn't dock them too much for
> "errors". In the end, they did better than acceptable and that's what
> it's all about in contracting....fast and acceptable.
>
> Larry,    Inspector Extraordinaire

50% of the charge to the field guy is pretty normal for consulting.
They usually try for a contract that pays mileage and expenses as well,
which is the only way that the grunt makes anything.  And 25-30 plots a
day is a hard day.  You can't expect 95% accuracy (with volume at least)
with that.

40 species is pretty good for a tally. The Siskiyou area is like that as
well. LOTS of hardwoods and interesting brush along with coastal and
interior conifers.