Beetles attack Santa Fe pine forests

quibbler quibbler247 at atyahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 18:43:34 EST 2003

In article <7a90c754.0311291522.5696bc6b at posting.google.com>,
lhfotoware at hotmail.com says...
> Again, tell us why it is bad to cut large dead and dying trees in a campground?

I don't think I said it was "bad".  I just suggested that it was
suspicious that the area right around the campground, where
coincidentally roads exist for moving out timber, was the place found to
be in most need of logging.  There is nothing wrong with cutting down
dead trees per se.  Eventually they cut themselves down though, so it
seems rather apparent that a desire for lumber, rather than the health of
the forest is what's at play.  After all, dead trees don't drink a lot of
water.  At most they preserve a bit of a canopy shadown until all the
needles fall off.

> Larry,    maybe one question at a time is better

Whatever floats your boat.

      Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the
threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, 'mad cow'
disease, and many others, but I think a case can be
made that faith is one of the world's great evils,
comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to
eradicate."  -- Richard Dawkins