Forest Service caught using misleading photo - Area shown suggested natural area but was actually logged

Ian St. John istjohn at noemail.ca
Mon Apr 12 14:08:02 EST 2004

"Aozotorp" <aozotorp at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040412141827.00497.00000271 at mb-m29.aol.com...
> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4722630/
>
> Forest Service caught using misleading photo
> Area shown suggested natural area but was actually logged
>
> U.S. Forest Service - Swan View
> This 1909 photo is used in a U.S. Forest Service brochure with other
photos to
> suggest how forests have gotten thicker over the years without preventive
> thinning. Logging critics have pointed out that the photo was taken after
the
> area was cut.
<snip>

Same sort of photos that Larry Hartwell was using to justify the timber
cutting of the Kaibab national forest. His 'expertise' was that this was
'typical' of the early natural forests. He claimed that the density was low
because of water stress but couldn't explain how current forest cover could
manage to thrives despite the higher water requirements. I tried to catch
him out but he just claimed superior knowledge and I gave up trying to get
an answer from him.

> Nevada Sen. Harry Reid, the second-ranking Democrat in the Senate, said
the use
> of the Montana photos is "misleading" and said people "are smart enough
> to make up their own minds when presented with accurate facts, but this
> approach is disingenuous."

Actually it is misleading as well as disingenuous.  Deliberately misleading
I expect, since claiming a low 'natural population' of harvestable timber
allows timber companies to cut a lot more ( and make bigger profits) under
the excuse of 'thinning' the trees to prevent forest fires.