Kerry's forest ideas out of step with sound ecosystem management

Teel Adams kyndn at JoiMail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:16:21 EST 2004

They were a dismal failure because forest physical support depends upon the
interaction of other trees.  A lone tree produces one type of root stucture,
close pack woods do another.  The century old oak above my pond is wide,
well supported, and of limited lumber value (although I love it just the
same, maybe I should post a picture, somebody give me a group to post the
picture in).  the 70 year old oak down in the creek, close packed, grew
quickly as trees were lost in the canapy, less of a root structure, more
prone to wind damage if the 100 trees giving wind breaks around them would
fail.

The obvious solution to this is band cutting,  remove small plots (acres
wide) leave the rest of the woods alone until the original cut has restored
the structual support.

It aint a bunch of trees, its a friggen forest.
(Gar. L.T. Adams, circa 1920) (aka Grandpap)

And strangely, yes I am selling about 10k worth of oak, hickory, osage
orange and walnut off the farm right now.   Tree by tree.

news:MPG.1b761841538922c198b03e at news.west.earthlink.net...