Federal Forestry Events in California (Long)

mhagen replyto at group.only
Sun Feb 1 12:25:34 EST 2004

Joe Zorzin wrote:

> (posted in alt.forestry,sci.environment,bionet.agroforestry)
>
> The reason enviros don't understand is for a good reason - because for
> generations, so called "professional foresters" were world class assholes-
> assisting in the rape and pillage of forests world wide- now it will take
> more generations to win back their confidence, and not by sarcasm. <G> Hey,
> they have a reason to not trust loggers and foresters. It would be better to
> explain to them what the issues are really all about.
>
> They've seen the massive clearcuts and high grading that the BRAIN DEAD
> idiot "forestry professionals" have been selling as forestry- shoddy work
> defended by the entire forestry establishment of moronic SAF propaganda,
> retarded forestry academics, industrial thieves,lazy burreacrats, and
> others- and it was all too obvious just how lame all of it was by the
> generally far more educated and sophisticated enviros. Now that there are a
> few good, genuine foresters in the world, we need to explain the difference
> between what was and what can be- REAL forestry- and it must be explained to
> the enviros, so they can see the difference.
>
> Here in Mass., one Forest Stewards Guild forester put on a Guild event
> showing his property, which is well managed, and which is up against another
> private property which has been hammered. He showed both to a group of
> Guilders - and here in Mass. the Guild  has many key enviros as members,
> including the "all powerful" Mass. Audubon. By doing this, we are winning
> over the enviros to our side and they do have an immense influence on
> legislators and the bureaucracies. I suggest saving the sarcasm for the
> idiots on the "forestry profession". I'd say about 75% of the people in the
> forestry world are such idiots and maybe only 25% of the enviros.
> --

>>>That is a contradiction.
>>>

>>Oh, Tommy. Such eloquence! Such a logical mind! Good thing you set us
>>all straight on that issue.

snip>>

>>P.S. There is no contradiction. Making our forests drought resistent,
>>bark beetle resistent and fire resistent protects important endangered
>>species habitat. Not only do we have to manage our dead fuels buildup,
>>we have to manage our live fuels buildup. Prove it to a judge if you
>>think the USFS is wrong or, just watch us continue to gather more
>>public support with showcase fuels reduction and forest restoration
>>projects. The more the public learns, the more they will trust us.

Right on, Joe.

The Guild in Washington state is just forming. At the moment, we don't
seem to have even a dozen professional members - not even an SAF chapter
meeting's worth.  As far as I can tell, all the Guilders are on the
ground forest managers.  No politicians amongst us, which is not a good
thing. We've got two big problems on the west side:  conversions and a
major change in management style on state forests.

Forestland too close to development becomes more valuable as real estate
than as timber producing ground. Logical, of course, and a private
company has to make $$.  It can make more $$ and avoid having to deal
with neighbors by getting out of the interface. So - ALL the timber
companies here now have land sales as a major source of income. A
clearcut will grow a reasonable forest in 50 years - but trophy homes
never do.

The State DNR is about to  double, triple or quadruple the cut over the
next decade. All the administration backed "options" are heavily into
clearcuts and with an anticipated glut of low priced imported timber, we
can only guess that this will drop prices even further.  Can't say who
this advantages except the biggest of the biggest companies.  The state
foresters are doing a competent job at the moment but since timber
revenues fund everything from schools to the state capital, the push is
on for more income. Lots more.

Those of us that have watched the cycle a few times see the pattern.
Open up the federal forests when private runs thin. Run the state lands
as if they were under private ownership.  Private forests are at the
lowest point in their timber supply curve this decade.