Forested areas worth preserving

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:13:49 EST 2004

mhagen <replyto at group.only> wrote in message news:<101vk89mhqunmb5 at corp.supernews.com>...
> So, judging from what you can see, why would you say the low rent areas
> burned and the high rent didn't?   Would it be spacing and setbacks,
> wider roads and turnarounds or what?  If the reasons were physical, then
> zoning code for occasional fire is a realistic tool.

Much of the reasons were actually physical. Where it is not safe for
firefighters to work, they couldn't save homes which didn't have the
propoer clearance. The rich area didn't have lots of natural open
space between homes, had fire resistent landscaping and had wide
roads. The vast majority of these multi-million dollar homes had terra
cotta roof tiles. The vegetation surrounding the community was more
brushy and without the trees that they have at the elevation near
Julian. The thickly wooded areas, near Julian, on the north-facing
slopes cooked pretty good. I'm sure that the Cedar fire has plenty of
lessons to teach but, some hazards should have been identified
beforehand. That nice "shielding" from road view can also shield you
from firefighters seeking to save your home.

I'm now working on the Los Padres National, err, Forest(?  Looks more
like BLM land in eastern Oregon <G> ). We're mapping an OHV complex
that sprawls out for thousands of acres (and I have my very own quad
and GPS unit!). Is it immoral to have so much fun at work? Anyway,
time to get ready for work, all overtime today!

Larry,       beep.....vroom....beep....vroom....beep....