Colorado - Bug thrive, transform state forests

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:49:14 EST 2004

wolfbat359 at mindspring.com (Donald L Ferrt) wrote in message news:<b9eb3efe.0402091337.702c5124 at posting.google.com>...
> lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0402081958.5233648a at posting.google.com>...
> >
> > The story implies drought cycles but does not change my belief that we
> > can restore old growth forests, "sculpt" new ones and manage younger
> > ones into healthy, vigorous and productive ecosystems. "Natural"
> > forests are drought resistent and our currently unnatural western pine
> > forests have become very sensitive to even moderate droughts. Ancient
> > trees have survived those cycles for hundreds of years. How come our
> > remaining Ponderosa pine old growth is dying in unprecedented numbers
> > because of drought, bugs and fire? Tell us without the references to
> > anuses and turds, please.
>
> Global warming!

Talk about oversimplification! The current drought in the southwest is
merely a moderate drought, compared to historical records. During the
dustbowl era, parts of the country suffered through at least 8
consecutive years of drought. How come all those ancient trees didn't
die during that drought? Could it be that there was less competition
for water (because of a more natural stocking level)?

Are "preservationists" trying to rewrite "natural history"? OTOH, I
think I could accuse the Republicans of the same thing. All I can do
is present my observations of many National Forests and try to use
science to explain them. The complexity of interlocking ecosystems,
fragmented habitats, plantations and overstocked, unhealthy AND
unnatural stands of trees is incredible. The Book of Modern Forestry
is still being written, and alt.forestry has and will lead the way to
the promised lands.

Larry,     forestry prophet?

PS I've been pushing thinning and forest restoration since I went
online in 1997. Go ahead and do a Google search.