Thinning on the Angeles National Forest

Bob Weinberger bobsstuff at verizon.invalid.net
Mon Feb 23 17:34:46 EST 2004

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I inadvertantly inserted my sig in the
body of the last paragraph which makes it difficult to read the text.
Correction below.

"Bob Weinberger" <bobsstuff at verizon.invalid.net> wrote in message
news:mDu_b.312$fL4.240 at nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> "Ian St. John" <istjohn at noemail.ca> wrote in message
> news:YUo_b.3804$ee3.153593 at news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> > P.S. 100 TPA would be one in every 2.35 foot square plot. With any
decent
> > diameter of the tree, it would be something like the Amazon Rain Forest.
> Any
> > picture of such density? No? thousght not.
>
> I don't know what kind of math they teach where you went to school, but
100
> TPA = one tree for every 435.6 square feet or one tree in every 20.87' x
> 20.87' plot, while 1000 TPA would equal one tree for every 43.56' sq.
ft.or
> one per 6.6 x 6.6'  plot.  Trees at the higher density stocking levels in
> the PP type almost never have "decent" average diameters regardless of
age -
> often stagnating at very low diameters & heights.  I don't have any photos
> directly at hand, and we are just entering the period we call spring
> break-up, where it is almost impossible to get around in the woods. , but
if
> you really want such pictures, remind > me in about a month and I'll go
out and take numerous pictures of PP sites
> with 1000+ TPA that I could email you.
>

> > --
> Bob Weinberger
> La, Grande, OR
place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email remind