Preventing future fires

Donald L Ferrt wolfbat359 at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 7 20:29:51 EST 2004

lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0401062141.6dc09dfd at posting.google.com>...
> January 3, 2004  The Washington Times  Guest Editorial
>
> http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20040102-091334-4050r.htm
>
> Preventing tomorrow's fires
>
> By Thomas Bonnicksen
>

> In 2000, Americans were glued to their TVs as monster fires roared
> across the West. It happened again in 2001 and 2002. These horrific
> fires killed people, destroyed homes and wildlife habitat, stripped
> soil from watersheds, clogged streams and reservoirs with debris, and
> turned millions of acres into charcoal.
>     Again, this fall unmanaged forests and brush lands in Southern
> California fueled more monster fires that killed 26 persons, destroyed
> 739,597 homes and burned 740,000 acres.

> Comment by poster: Gee, what a novel idea to treat the disease instead
> of throwing money at the symptoms. I'll be seeing those SoCal forests
> in person in the next few weeks on an assignment down there. I'll be
> sure to take pictures to show what a lack of forest management did.
> Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of dead trees are rotting and bark
> beetles are still hungry.
>
> Larry,   forest sculptor

As long as your sure you have the exact Problem IDed!

http://www.forestdata.com/deadtree.htm

Autumn 2002
San Gorgonio mountain near Redlands. Unprecedented mortality is
occurring in ponderosa pine, big cone Douglas-fir, and canyon live oak
stands in the San Bernardino National Forest. A drought-induced beetle
infestation, this area has been subjected to daily updraft of polluted
air from the Inland Empire Cities around San Bernardino, predisposing
the region's forests to the current epidemic.

Summer 2002... Arrowhead Lake (photo courtesy CDF).

These are the bark beetle killed trees in communities of the San
Bernardino mountains, killed by drought, ozone, and years of fire
exclusion and ecological change.
East-West Forestry Home Page

http://www.californiawild.org/wildfire.html