Preventing future fires

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:40:49 EST 2004

mhagen <replyto at group.only> wrote in message news:<vvoj29fd1rucf9 at corp.supernews.com>...
> big snip
>

> > Comment by poster: Gee, what a novel idea to treat the disease instead
> > of throwing money at the symptoms. I'll be seeing those SoCal forests
> > in person in the next few weeks on an assignment down there. I'll be
> > sure to take pictures to show what a lack of forest management did.
> > Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of dead trees are rotting and bark
> > beetles are still hungry.
> >

> Just how does one "manage" chapparal without burning it?  Even the areas
> in So. Cal. with trees have no market.

I'm sure that the author was mostly talking about the Lake
Arrowhead/Big Bear Lake areas, as well as Idyllwild, where ancient
pines have been dying off in massive numbers. There has been talk of
putting together "stewardship contracts" that would trade excess small
to medium-sized trees for controlled burns and thinning of
submerchantable trees. The Forest Service has also made it clear that
they would accept bids from eco-groups to do the work. I could see a
consortium of eco-groups winning bids for projects like these and
possibly showing America a new way to "manage" sickly forests and fuel
buildups. That situation would certainly be interesting for me, if I
were to be a contract inspector, monitoring the Sierra Club's work.
I'd be just as tough on them as I would be on a logging crew. However,
I'd also be just as open to other methods or ideas about how to get
the work up to contract standards.

Don't mind me, I'm just doing a little fantasy role playing <G>

Anyway, what do you do with hundreds of thousands of dead trees that
will take decades to decompose in the hot and dry mountains of the LA
Basin? Anyone want to step up to the mic?

Larry,     a true environmentalist