Preventing future fires

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 11:39:31 EST 2004

wolfbat359 at mindspring.com (Donald L Ferrt) wrote in message news:<b9eb3efe.0401071729.1ca5e6de at posting.google.com>...
> lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0401062141.6dc09dfd at posting.google.com>...
> > January 3, 2004  The Washington Times  Guest Editorial
> >
> > http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20040102-091334-4050r.htm
> >
> > Preventing tomorrow's fires
> >
> > By Thomas Bonnicksen
> >

> > In 2000, Americans were glued to their TVs as monster fires roared
> > across the West. It happened again in 2001 and 2002. These horrific
> > fires killed people, destroyed homes and wildlife habitat, stripped
> > soil from watersheds, clogged streams and reservoirs with debris, and
> > turned millions of acres into charcoal.
> >     Again, this fall unmanaged forests and brush lands in Southern
> > California fueled more monster fires that killed 26 persons, destroyed
> > 739,597 homes and burned 740,000 acres.
>

> > Comment by poster: Gee, what a novel idea to treat the disease instead
> > of throwing money at the symptoms. I'll be seeing those SoCal forests
> > in person in the next few weeks on an assignment down there. I'll be
> > sure to take pictures to show what a lack of forest management did.
> > Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of dead trees are rotting and bark
> > beetles are still hungry.
> >
> > Larry,   forest sculptor
>
> As long as your sure you have the exact Problem IDed!
>
> http://www.forestdata.com/deadtree.htm
>
> Autumn 2002
> San Gorgonio mountain near Redlands. Unprecedented mortality is
> occurring in ponderosa pine, big cone Douglas-fir, and canyon live oak
> stands in the San Bernardino National Forest. A drought-induced beetle
> infestation, this area has been subjected to daily updraft of polluted
> air from the Inland Empire Cities around San Bernardino, predisposing
> the region's forests to the current epidemic.
>
> Summer 2002... Arrowhead Lake (photo courtesy CDF).

Did you actually take a look at the picture of Lake Arrowhead?
(Dramatic picture of extreme bark beetle mortality...I also have my
own pics of Lake Tahoe during the last big drought up there...e-mail
me for copies) Thanks for posting evidence that neglect and
mismanagement is responsible for the tree mortality on the San
Bernardino National Forest. You certainly can't place all the blame on
air pollution. Just look at how thick those trees were. Too many for
the amount of rainfall they get down there. "Preservationists" want
all their forests to look like rainforests, regardless of average
rainfall. This is another example of how man has "enhanced" droughts,
depleting groundwater, improving bak beetle habitat and losing entire
ecosysytems to catastrophic fire. Americans do seem to be getting it
(the idea that ecosystem management is needed and that
"preservationism" for all of our National Forest lands is not the
answer) and are waiting to see if we're up to the task of restoring
our National Forests.

Larry,   been there and done that (even got a T shirt!)

Once again, thanks Donald. America DOES need to see the truth.