Preventing future fires

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 23:02:48 EST 2004

mhagen <replyto at group.only> wrote in message news:<1000elenhnn95b5 at corp.supernews.com>...
> > Besides, nothing is more important than firefighting JOBS!
> >

> Well, youre right about that! It's going to be touch and go for the next
> few decades.

Or would that be TORCH and go? <G>

Regular firefighters used to sometimes tell me to get moving during
broadcast burning. I was always wanting to watch fire behavior under
those "relatively controlled conditions". At this one county park, the
personnel there wanted to do a "controlled burn" of that flammable
plant called bear clover or "mountain misery", because of the smell of
the flammable oils it puts out. The burn was only a small triangular
piece between the road along the lake and the main county highway
above. (Mike H. knows where Sly Park is.) Well, they figured they
could easily light it along the bottom and it would quickly burn up to
the road and go out. Unfortunately, they didn't burn out the fuel next
to the road first. After they lit it in several points along the
bottom, it picked up intensity and started to burn the saplings and
small trees. When it got to the top, flame lengths were up to 20 feet
and threatening to jump the road (in this heavily populated dense
forest). With help from other agencies they somehow stopped it from
crossing the road. For months that scorched piece of land showed the
public how stupid a government agency can be sometimes.

Larry,    wanting to play with drip torches