Kerry's forest ideas out of step with sound ecosystem management

Lloyd Parker lparker at NOSPAMemory.edu
Tue Jul 6 09:40:49 EST 2004

news:<ccbsvd$raa$10 at puck.cc.emory.edu>...
>> In article <7a90c754.0407040432.514b2587 at posting.google.com>,
>>    lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote:
>> >"Ian St. John" <istjohn at noemail.ca> wrote in message
>>  news:<Y1zFc.197148$207.2229959 at news20.bellglobal.com>...

>> >Blindly following the propaganda of those organizations should result
>> >in political suicide for a candidate. Those brave Democrats that
>> >supported the bipartisan "Healthy Forests" were mostly following the
>> >lead of their constituents, whose lives and property are at
>> >unnecessary risk.
>>
>> So who speaks for those of us who do not want the land we, the people, own
>> clear-cut and strip-mined?
>>

>Umm, could you leave the 80's for a second and join us in the new
>millenium? Many National Forest have banned clearcutting for more than
>10 years now. The San Bernardino National Forest has been "hugged" to
>death (12 MILLION TREES!). Lastly, forest fires are costing BILLIONS
>of dollars to put out AND mortgaging our forests future to pay the
>fire fighters. This is only treating the symptom and not the disease.

1. If they start naturally, don't put them out.
2. If people didn't build right up to the edge of forests, there wouldn't be
such a demand for putting them out.

>I would think that "preservationists" have figured out, long ago, how
>to stop strip mining on Federal lands. Enlightened foresters know that
>clearcutting is a despicable way of maximizing short-term profits
>instead of a more economically  steady, silviculturally-sound program
>of stand improvement.

Lots of large corporations care for nothing except this year's profit to keep
the stockholders happy and to keep their multi-million dollar bonuses and
stock options.  Same as the Republicans in Washington, running up debt to be
paid tomorrow, but it keeps voters happy today.

>There is no shortage of people who want to speak for the flock of
>brainwashed eco-maniacs who don't exactly understand ALL of the
>science, (or even some of it).
>>
>> >The people DO have a say, by voting for who they
>> >want representing themselves. They also have a say when public comment
>> >is asked for.
>>
>> Yes, and then the gov't ignores them, like the reversal of the ban on
>> snowmobiles.
>>

>So, vote the bastards out! Donate money to the lawyers! Or, maybe even
>COMPROMISE! <shudder, shudder>

Yes, let's compromise on national parks and make them into, say, shopping
malls.