Kerry's forest ideas out of step with sound ecosystem management

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 17:25:29 EST 2004

lparker at NOSPAMemory.edu (Lloyd Parker) wrote in message news:<ccjo6r$3ut$7 at puck.cc.emory.edu>...
> In article <7a90c754.0407071859.46538af9 at posting.google.com>,
>    lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote:
> >lparker at NOSPAMemory.edu (Lloyd Parker) wrote in message
>  news:<cchccl$apj$4 at puck.cc.emory.edu>...

> >> And national forests?  All places people shouldn't be building.
> >>

> >Ding ding ding.....we have another winner! How many people build on
> >Forest Service lands?
> >

> They build right on the edge of them.

So, now you wish to impose your "preservationism" onto private
lands?!?! How many acres would the Biscuit fire have burned if we
hadn't sent an army to try and put it out? Natural forests survived
fires quite well and benefitted from the low to moderate intensity
burns. Today's firestorms burn at high intensity, kill even
fire-adapted pines and sterilize soils. You wish to preserve this
tinderbox and produce the "Perfect Firestorm"? By allowing these
massive fires to burn, you are actually allowing loggers to cut trees
that wouldn't be cut in a "green sale". "Healthy Forests" will NOT
make our forests fireproof but, it WILL increase their chances of
surviving the fire.

All I've seen is "preservationis rhetoric" from the Democrats who
didn't vote for "Healthy Forests". I would be interested in specifics
on how they would deal with 12 million dead trees on the San
Bernardino and a similar number on the Bitterroot. "Healthy Forests"
has already "Daschle-ized" 20 million acres.

Larry,    restoring National Forests, one tree at a time