Kerry's forest ideas out of step with sound ecosystem management

Lloyd Parker lparker at NOSPAMemory.edu
Fri Jul 9 10:15:27 EST 2004

news:<ccjo6r$3ut$7 at puck.cc.emory.edu>...
>> In article <7a90c754.0407071859.46538af9 at posting.google.com>,
>>    lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote:
>> >lparker at NOSPAMemory.edu (Lloyd Parker) wrote in message
>>  news:<cchccl$apj$4 at puck.cc.emory.edu>...

>> >Ding ding ding.....we have another winner! How many people build on
>> >Forest Service lands?
>> >

>> They build right on the edge of them.
>>

>So, now you wish to impose your "preservationism" onto private
>lands?!?!

Nope, but tell them forest fires aren't going to be put out if they're
natural and insurance isn't going to be subsidized, just like it should be
when people build on the beach and a hurricane comes.

>How many acres would the Biscuit fire have burned if we
>hadn't sent an army to try and put it out? Natural forests survived
>fires quite well and benefitted from the low to moderate intensity
>burns. Today's firestorms burn at high intensity, kill even
>fire-adapted pines and sterilize soils.

One reason being we've put out natural fires that could have reduced a lot of
the underbrush.

> You wish to preserve this
>tinderbox and produce the "Perfect Firestorm"? By allowing these
>massive fires to burn, you are actually allowing loggers to cut trees
>that wouldn't be cut in a "green sale". "Healthy Forests" will NOT
>make our forests fireproof but, it WILL increase their chances of
>surviving the fire.

All it will increase is timber company profits.