CANADA: 'Hydro Power is breaking our hearts'

Jeff Strickland beerman at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 17:11:50 EST 2004

"Fresno Farms" <brutus at u.com> wrote in message
news:10fomt1ha98ufe1 at corp.supernews.com...

>   People see "pretty" mountain reservoirs and don't think
> much about it.  But building a reservoir results
> in 100% habitat destruction.  Typically, reservoirs
> (to maximize water volume) are built on rare "flats" and
> meadow areas, which are extremely important biodiversity areas.
>    Thus due to the rare topography, reservoirs are often
> located on critical migration routs (deer and such) and
> (say,) fawning areas.  Deer drowning mortality rates alone
> can be high enough to wipe out a deer population within
> a few years.  And of course, no more timber, into the
> foreseeable foture.

Deer drowning!? We have a new reservior in our area, it was built similiarly
to the scenario you suggested, flat land surrounded by hills. I have to take
exception to your assertion that deer drown as a result. We haven't got deer
around here, but it took YEARS to fill the reservior, certainly the deer
would have migrated away long before they were required to learn to swim.
Not only did it take years to fill, it took a decade to build. Surely the
deer (if there were any) would have moved on long before they drown.