CANADA: 'Hydro Power is breaking our hearts'

BlackWater bw at barrk.net
Wed Jul 21 09:33:19 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:11:50 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
<beerman at yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Fresno Farms" <brutus at u.com> wrote in message
>news:10fomt1ha98ufe1 at corp.supernews.com...
>>
>>   People see "pretty" mountain reservoirs and don't think
>> much about it.  But building a reservoir results
>> in 100% habitat destruction.  Typically, reservoirs
>> (to maximize water volume) are built on rare "flats" and
>> meadow areas, which are extremely important biodiversity areas.
>>    Thus due to the rare topography, reservoirs are often
>> located on critical migration routs (deer and such) and
>> (say,) fawning areas.  Deer drowning mortality rates alone
>> can be high enough to wipe out a deer population within
>> a few years.  And of course, no more timber, into the
>> foreseeable foture.
>>

>Deer drowning!? We have a new reservior in our area, it was built similiarly
>to the scenario you suggested, flat land surrounded by hills. I have to take
>exception to your assertion that deer drown as a result. We haven't got deer
>around here, but it took YEARS to fill the reservior, certainly the deer
>would have migrated away long before they were required to learn to swim.
>Not only did it take years to fill, it took a decade to build. Surely the
>deer (if there were any) would have moved on long before they drown.

   Really. Every deer I've ever seen is equipped with LEGS,
   devices which greatly facilitate migration away from
   rising water. Apparenly, we're supposed to believe that
   Canadian deer are SO stupid and unadaptive that they
   will mindlessly follow an old migration route even IF it
   leads through the middle of a lake. Maybe if you get
   'em to chug a lot of Molsons first ...

   These are the same kind of folks who were convinced that
   the trans-Alaska pipeline would cause herds of caribou
   to stop dead in confusion. Instead, the animals couldn't
   tell a pipeline from a really tall felled tree and simply
   walked under it.

   His complaints about 'habitat destruction' are also a bit
   hollow. Yep, it destroys some LAND habitat - but creates
   a water and wetlands habitat in its place. If they don't
   take it to excess, I'd call that an even trade.

   Oh well, I guess Canadians will have to skip on hydro
   power - and instead burn gigaton quantities of COAL
   instead. Now THAT ought to be good for the wildlife.
   Or, maybe, all Canadians should just evacuate the
   area completely - turn it into a gigantic wildlife
   refuge ? Let 'em move to the Mexican desert. Well,
   they might tread on some endangered gila monster or
   something ... so I guess suicide is the only answer.