CANADA: 'Hydro Power is breaking our hearts'

BlackWater bw at barrk.net
Thu Jul 22 06:27:36 EST 2004

On 21 Jul 2004 23:27:11 -0700, dennis702717 at yahoo.com (Denny) wrote:

>It isn't all negative in Canada:
><snip>
>While using LED headlights, let us not destroy the environment with
>toxic waste.
>Looking for a www.freebatteries.com ? You have found it!
>
>Household batteries are responsible for over 50 of all heavy metals in
>landfills. Battery Restore Program is a new, emerging-technology
>project to refill (similar to inkjet cartridges) used, disposable,
>(non-rechargeable) alkaline batteries, for later reuse. Contact:
>BatteryRestoreProgram @ yahoo.com
>
>DROP-OFF USED BATTERIES! disposable alkaline or CR2 or CR123 Lithium
>batteries AA, AAA, C, D, N, 9V and 6V lantern battery sizes

   By FAR, the WORST batteries are any containing nickel and
   cadmium - still the most common 'rechargable' battery.
   The salts of those metals are *extremely*, *nastily* toxic.

   Lithium batteries aren't that bad, nor are alkalines or
   the old carbon-zincs (do they still make those ?). It's
   not the metals that are the issue there, but chemicals
   used as electrolytes.

   But now WHAT does this have to do with Canadian hydro-
   electric power projects ... ???