Kerry's forest ideas out of step with sound ecosystem management

Larry Caldwell larryc at
Sat Jul 31 23:58:15 EST 2004

In article <e351cb91.0407311754.34a1dd0e at>, wxdano9 (Dano) says...

> If I may, there used to be programs to do release to encourage sapling
> growth. If you'll remember before the days of big clearcuts, seed
> trees were left to reseed the area cut.

You may also recall that those programs were dismal failures.
Generally, the seed trees just blew down in the next wind storm, leaving
nothing but brush.  That is just one of the reasons replanting is so