"Natural forest devastation"?

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 00:27:50 EST 2004

wxdano9 at hotmail.com (Dano) wrote in message news:<e351cb91.0405301900.3b41ca0a at posting.google.com>...
> lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0405291804.5b77e6db at posting.google.com>...
> [snip]
>
> > Yep, we can't let facts get in the way of a good story.
>
> you can have a reporter not understand the issue and then the purty
> fact you wanted to get out is obfuscated. You can control the message
> if you're savvy. That's 'control'.

I see many articles involving the Forest Service everyday. Most of
them are slanted in one way or another. I also see lots of those kind
of articles posted here and other groups. I do like to comment on them
from time to time and expose "departures from reality". For example,
an otherwise respectable looking "organization" was pleading with
people to write letters and e-mails to stop the Forest Service from
clearcutting the roadless areas. Since the Forest Service has NEVER
proposed anything like that, what is the use in pushing those kind of
lies? BTW, I'm also against the "stealth tactics" in establishing
environmental policies, used by both sides.

> > > Rather than retool mills to try to use the wood as lumber, why not chip it
> > > and use it to produce 'cellose ethanol' as fuel??? You could include
> > > everything down to the leaf litter!
> > >

> > Most mills have already been retooled and the amount of big log mills
> > left in this country could probably be counted on two hands. In my
> > part of the USA, Ian, cogen plants already get agricultural waste for
> > pennies.
> > Small unmerchantable trees (less than 9" dbh) cannot be removed
> > without some kind of a subsidy.
>
> that's my point. there's millions of those stems out there and a
> market is out there, waiting. Small mills. Small.

Hmmm, I've seen portable post mills that can work on a landing. A 9"
dbh tree IS pretty dang small. It also has to be perfectly free of
defect in order to make a board. I'm not sure what kind of product you
could make from a 4" diameter at root collar tree. I have seen a 212
log load before though. Burn salvage trees down to 7" dbh. You're
absolutely right that we should be exploring ALL avenues to reducing
fuel loading in our National Forests. Every project CANNOT involve
cutting timber.

> > I do hope that those small trees in
> > other parts of the country can be used in a good way, as you say.
> > "Healthy Forests" and the Sierra Nevada Framework" plans to include a
> > few excess medium-sized trees (up to 30" dbh, in some cases) per acre
> > in with the projects to make the project sell. In other cases, there
> > aren't any excess trees to include, making the project into a "service
> > contract".

> > Scientists often have their own agenda and will "design" studies only
> > to prove their own views.
>
> why are you perpetuating this myth?

It's not a myth. It's called "scientific method". I believe that
scientists are supposed to theorize and then design tests to prove
their theories. There are good, progressive and ethical scientists
(and doctors, politicians, lawyers, mechanics) around and then there
always the bad ones too. It's never too easy to discover which are
which.

> > While they're talking about it, I'm actually
> > out there doing something about the problems.
>
> so are many scientists. You should talk to some without the attitude.

If they want to meet me out in the middle of a steep helicopter unit,
we can talk. Many of them are totally lost without a GPS unit <G>.

> > Both the Bitterroot and
> > the San Bernardino are in big trouble, with lots of continuing
> > mortality. With a warm spring, Douglas fir engraver beetles are
> > blooming in Montana and we're seeing fresh sawdust coming out of
> > (temporarily) green trees. The answers to these problems are not at
> > all simple, as we need to treat them on a site-by-site basis. "Healthy
> > Forests" is NOT a one-size-fits-all plan but, a suite of tools
> > foresters can use to improve and restore our forests.
> >
> > Now for the kicker. There WILL be some instances of the Forest Service
> > using the rules to boost cutting and timber income for their local
> > areas. It's important for people to continue monitoring what is
> > happening in THEIR forests and to take to court projects that favor
> > economics over science.
>
> NOW yer talking. Help get people into the woods to do monitoring that
> the monitors aren't doing. I like it.

I just happen to be one of those "monitors". My expertise is in
controlling loggers. I welcome oversight, as long as I am there to
present and explain specifics and concepts. Last fall, I worked on a
roadside hazard tree removal project on the Lloyd Meadows Road in the
Sequoia National Forest. The logger, Harold Kiper (Squaw Valley,
central California), did a masterful job eliminating both valuable and
worthless hazard trees close to the road. They did more work than was
required under the contract to clean up what is ALWAYS a messy kind of
project. Both Harold and his crew worked very, very hard to have an
attractive final "product". This kind of work takes expert timber
felling, experienced skidding and major slash cleanup.

I would encourage ANYONE to participate in ANY part of the process. I
would recommend going to your local District Ranger and volunteering
to "monitor", along with a Forest Service person. I would enjoy
showing what modern logging can do.

> > I don't feel sorry for the timber industry
> > because if they'd have managed their own lands well, they'd have
> > plenty of timber left to cut.
>
> [snip]
>
> Good. We're on the same page.

I can already hear my critics howling...lol

Larry,      forest sculptor