"Natural forest devastation"?

charliew2 charliew2 at ev1.net
Sat Jun 5 15:57:42 EST 2004

Ian St. John wrote:
> charliew2 wrote:
>> Ian St. John wrote:

>>> Gee. That isn't perhaps why they are so 'hot' on taking trees out as
>>> part of the 'tinder reduction program' not would it. Finally
>>> admitting the main economic focus of the 'new forest' initiative.

>>> Then turn it into alcohol. I am merely pointing out the advantages,
>>> since this would remove the 'tinder' instead of thet 'timber' and
>>> make money.
>>>
>>> I really wasn't talking to you, Larry. I know your answer before you
>>> start blubbering.
>>
>> Think, Ian.  Alcohol serves as fuel.  The cogen faciliites are no
>> doubt using the wood for fuel, bypassing all of the processing steps
>> involved in alcohol production.  You don't want to use cellulose to
>> produce alcohol, just because it's a "cool" thing to do.
>
> No. I want to convert it to alcohol because a liquid fuel, suitable
> for mobile vehicles, is more *valueable* than simple heat, and burn
> more cleanly with more of the nutrient recoverable for fertiliser
> from the waste outflow.

It's a COGEN facility.  It's not on wheels ... you can't drive it.  The
fossil fuel saved by using the fuel value of wood waste is still helping the
environment, because it is displacing even more fossil fuel than you would
if you processed it into ethanol to displace gasoline.  I repeat - you don't
want to produce ethanol just because it's a cool thing to do.