"Natural forest devastation"?

Ian St. John istjohn at noemail.ca
Sat Jun 5 18:02:01 EST 2004

charliew2 wrote:
> Ian St. John wrote:
>> charliew2 wrote:

>>> Think, Ian.  Alcohol serves as fuel.  The cogen faciliites are no
>>> doubt using the wood for fuel, bypassing all of the processing steps
>>> involved in alcohol production.  You don't want to use cellulose to
>>> produce alcohol, just because it's a "cool" thing to do.
>>
>> No. I want to convert it to alcohol because a liquid fuel, suitable
>> for mobile vehicles, is more *valueable* than simple heat, and burn
>> more cleanly with more of the nutrient recoverable for fertiliser
>> from the waste outflow.
>
> It's a COGEN facility.  It's not on wheels ... you can't drive it.

Really. I was suggesting an alternative use of the wood. I do not
understand, even though I know that you are VERY dim, how you could derive
this idiotic statement from it.

> The fossil fuel saved by using the fuel value of wood waste is still
> helping the environment, because it is displacing even more fossil
> fuel than you would if you processed it into ethanol to displace
> gasoline.

Not shown. The reason that alcohol is more valueable than wood is precisely
because it displace more energy than simply burning it for electricity. The
combustion of wood for fuel is also notoriously inefficient due to water
content and... conversion to alcohol does not have these flaws and the
nutrient content is preserved for fertiliser use.

> I repeat - you don't want to produce ethanol just because
> it's a cool thing to do.

Sure. And you don't want to burn wood for electricity because it is what
everyone expects.

Anytime you are ready to debate me on number, go ahead.