North Kaibab Fuels Project Update

Ian St. John istjohn at
Wed Jun 30 09:23:32 EST 2004

Larry Harrell wrote:
> "Ian St. John" <istjohn at> wrote in message
> news:<_sqEc.77435$Ax1.682908 at>...
>> Larry Harrell wrote:
>>> Tuesday, June 29, 2004   Washington Post
>>> National Forests Fall Victim to Firefighting
>>> Plan to Protect Residences Costs Trees, Money
>> The obvious problem with 'fuel reduction' is that it is really a
>> false front for commercial logging. The trees are selected on the
>> basis of fitting the capacity of the sawmill, not on the basis of
>> their fire danger.
>> A more rational approach would eliminate mostly the small tinder and
>> chip it for use in cellulose ethanol, engineered wood products, etc.
>> while preserving as much of the character of the old growth and the
>> ecosystem as possible.
> Tell me please.... What do you do with the dozens of 12-24" dbh trees
> per acre that are excess? Excess meaning that bigger and better trees
> need the water and nutrients. Excess meaning that those trees to be
> removed provide "ladder fuels" to those bigger and better trees. Tell
> me also how we deal with the fuels buildups. It is prohibitively
> labor-intensive and not cost effective to manually remove just the
> unmerchantable fuels.
> We all know that you live in a fantasy land of endless wilderness,
> where Republicans have been eliminated and you are proclaimed King
> Guru, Ian. People are smarter than that, though. They've seen through
> the smoke and mirrors of the eco-INDUSTRY. It too "extracts" business
> from our wilderness with impacts that are finally being understood.

I notice that you deleted the facts that illustrate the pressure behind the
commercial logging push. I will restore them here to keep a 'balanced
viewpoint' with your rape and pillage philosophy.

Facts to note:

1: Nearly half the earths indigenous forests have disappeared. Approximately
94% of all forest products consumed worldwide are harvested from the
estimated 6.7 billion acres of original forest that remains; the rest is
grown on plantations.

2: An area of indigenous forest twice the size of New Jersey is cut each
year to satisfy existing demands for wood products. Other threats--such as
forest fires, illegal logging, and clear cutting for agriculture--wipe out
another 64 acres every minute.

3: Global demand for paper-- the largest use of wood fiber-- has increrased
fivefold sicne the 1950s and is expected to double again by 2050.

Forest Certification Resource
Forest Enterprises (

*As reported on page 25B of Sci-Am, June 2004.