North Kaibab Fuels Project Update

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 21:47:16 EST 2004

"Ian St. John" <istjohn at noemail.ca> wrote in message news:<G1AEc.78230$Ax1.747783 at news20.bellglobal.com>...

> I notice that you deleted the facts that illustrate the pressure behind the
> commercial logging push. I will restore them here to keep a 'balanced
> viewpoint' with your rape and pillage philosophy.

You are entitled to your opinion of my philosophy but, just to refresh
people's memories:

I'm not in favor of "liquidating" old growth.
I'm not in favor of abolishing the Endangered Species Act.
I'm not in favor of shutting out the public from presenting their
feelings and views.
I'm not in favor of clearcutting, except to regenerate very small
patches of dying forest (1-4 acres).
I'm not in favor of installing new roads, and bad roads should be "put
to bed".
I'm not in favor of selling off massive amounts of timber at rock
bottom prices.

I am in favor of saving and improving forests to accelerate their
progress towards an old growth-like state. Such stands will survive
droughts, bark beetles and fires.

These views put me squarely in the middle of the road, still far away
from your extremist fantasy.

> Facts to note:
>
> 1: Nearly half the earths indigenous forests have disappeared. Approximately
> 94% of all forest products consumed worldwide are harvested from the
> estimated 6.7 billion acres of original forest that remains; the rest is
> grown on plantations.

What does this have to do with the Kaibab? This is a thinning project
which cuts only one old growth tree per 19 acres. This project reduces
stocking to near "natural" levels (pre white man).

What does this have to do with our National Forests? If you haven't
looked, we haven't been cutting our own timber and it's dying off. You
seem to have very little criticism of Canada's timber practices, which
are much more brutal than our own. Just to remind you, California's
National Forests have banned clearcutting for more than 10 years.
Canada is ripping and tearing through the taiga. How long does it take
a northern Canada clearcut to grow back?

> 2: An area of indigenous forest twice the size of New Jersey is cut each
> year to satisfy existing demands for wood products. Other threats--such as
> forest fires, illegal logging, and clear cutting for agriculture--wipe out
> another 64 acres every minute.

Once again, this has very little to do with the Forest Service.
American forests have made great comebacks, especially in the South
where cotton was king. Pine trees grow incredibly fast down there and
some of those areas are very suitable for pine plantations for
sawtimber and pulp.

> 3: Global demand for paper-- the largest use of wood fiber-- has increrased
> fivefold sicne the 1950s and is expected to double again by 2050.

Certainly, technologies will allow us to increase fiber production and
recycling recovery. Hopefully, computers can fulfill the promise of
the "paperless office" (Frankly I'm not convinced).

> Sources:*
> Forest Certification Resource
> Center/Metafore(http://www.certifiedwood.org/);
> Forest Enterprises (http://www.forestenterprises.co.nz/)
>
> *As reported on page 25B of Sci-Am, June 2004.

PS I don't know how many 7" dbh pines and firs I
marked....err....sculpted (yeah, that's the ticket) today. We're
reducing canopy closure by 40-50%, by thinning from below. Pines above
20" dbh are off limits (There are some 40+" dbh "punkins" around,
too). Douglas firs above 25" dbh are off limits, too. I'm guessing
that the average cut tree diameter is about 12" dbh.

Larry,    forest sculptor