"Healthy Forests" bait and switch?

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:49:20 EST 2004

"hanson" <hanson at quick.net> wrote in message news:<raw1c.20425$aT1.7363 at newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Things are so fucked up with this forest stuff, in large
> part because of the enviro turds, who with their mania for
> permit charges and user fees have disturbed an originally
> pretty well working environmental and administrative system.
> It got so bad that even Disneyland got into the act and intends
> to administer the National Forests (Not Parks) but only if
> USFS will deliver them a fee collection system in place, the
> (1996 Fee Demo legislation) with user-fees amounting for
> anybody to pay $5.- for walking cross country in any Nat.
> Forest where there are NO Govt. improvements nor any
> govt. services. IOW pay to walk on your own public lands!
>
> This is in part what I wanted to address Larry about a few
> days ago in another post.       -----         hanson

While I am all for forest users to pay for their uses of the National
Forests, I'm not a big fan of the Demo fee. I think that if a forest
user parks in a designated and developed parking area or visits an
interpretive site, etc, they should have to pay a fee. Paying to hike
on a low to medium usage trail should not have to happen, IMHO.
Enforcement of this Demo fee takes a nice little chunk out of the
funds generated and partially defeats the purpose of the fee. Those
who do choose to buy a yearly pass should have some kind of "VIP
status" when visiting popular areas.

I can't say that the original system worked all that well. All
previous administrations have mismanaged our National Forests, in one
way or another, depending on the political pendulum. Isn't it about
time to restore them back towards their original functioning state?

Larry,    angry American citizen