"Healthy Forests" bait and switch?

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 10:17:18 EST 2004

I answered in a personal e-mail some of his concerns but, I do have
some new information about how the Forest Service is reacting to serve
the public's recreational concerns on the San Bernardino National
Forest. I'm not sure if the money from this project comes from the
Demo Fee but here goes.

We will be spraying healthy trees for bark beetles in recreational,
administrative and interpretive sites throughout the San Bernardino
National Forest. Trees near streams and other houses will not be
sprayed. This is an emergency response to a continuing bark beetle
problem associated with the drought. Fortunately, they're getting
nearly normal rainfall down there and we'd like to see the forest
stabilize somewhat. Private landowners who paid big bucks to have
their dead trees removed are seeing additional mortality in their
remaining trees. The power company will be cutting tens of thousands
of dead trees that threaten their power lines. Tree service companies
are making a killing off the dead trees.

We're not finished with this diasaster yet. Only by throwing
exorbitant amounts of money at this problem will it go away. The
problems are so big and the time to correct them (in a fiscally
sensible way) is so small. Despite the posted article elsewhere in
this thread, salvaging some of that timber (using sound ecological
methods) will be good for what's left of that ecosystem.
Unfortunately, the nearest mill (5 hours away, one way) has a full log
yard. We all just have to accept that too many of those dead trees
will fall over and become fuel for the next high intensity fire that
is overdue.

This is what the "preservationism" of the LA area has done to their
forests. There has been no timber management there for 10
years....recreation only.

Larry,    looking for healthy trees to save