Bark beetles and "Healthy Forests" (long)

Le Messurier Churchill at cox.net
Tue Mar 9 14:43:57 EST 2004

Larry,
A very interesting article.  Do you know where one can obtain a copy of the
scientists' letter?  As well as the 56 page guide?  These would be very
interesting to read  the original complete versions.

Hypotheses:  The fire danger from the beetle killed trees in dry forest
types, particularly PP, will come when these dead trees fall to the ground.
Since they all died at approx. the same time, they will fall, depending on
size, in approximately the same time frame.  In the interim period oaks and
other shrubs & self regenerating trees will have grown up and will dominate
the landscape.  Attempting to thin or clear such an area for any kind of
forest management would seem to me to be a nightmare with all the dead PP on
the ground.

What are your opinions on this?

Le Messurier

news:7a90c754.0403090641.3113568 at posting.google.com...