Bark beetles and "Healthy Forests" (long)

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:33:50 EST 2004

"Le Messurier" <Churchill at cox.net> wrote in message news:<2dec24c467c8050655d5631070c07335 at news.teranews.com>...
> Larry,
> A very interesting article.  Do you know where one can obtain a copy of the
> scientists' letter?  As well as the 56 page guide?  These would be very
> interesting to read  the original complete versions.
>
> Hypotheses:  The fire danger from the beetle killed trees in dry forest
> types, particularly PP, will come when these dead trees fall to the ground.
> Since they all died at approx. the same time, they will fall, depending on
> size, in approximately the same time frame.  In the interim period oaks and
> other shrubs & self regenerating trees will have grown up and will dominate
> the landscape.  Attempting to thin or clear such an area for any kind of
> forest management would seem to me to be a nightmare with all the dead PP on
> the ground.
>
> What are your opinions on this?
>
> Le Messurier

 Here's the URL for the Healthy Forests field guide:

http://www.fs.fed.us/projects/hfi/field-guide/

Not sure how to get the scientist's report.

The key is to harvest those excess dead trees before they become
worthless and to use the money to rehabilitate the land and hope that
the next stage will support a healthy ecosystem. Otherwise, fire
becomes the main tool for restoring balance. Oaks will almost always
survive fires, sprouting from the stump.
This process will most surely be used in the LA mountains, where dead
trees will not be fully harvested. At some point, those snags will
start to fall over and the fire danger will skyrocket. Such fires will
become unstoppable and people's houses will burn, mudslides will
happen and the ecosystems will be impacted for generations. It's a sad
situation but, hopefully, people will learn about ecosystem
management.

Larry,    forest sculptor