The "New" Forest Service

Donald L Ferrt wolfbat359 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 19 09:15:05 EST 2004

"Le Messurier" <Churchill at cox.net> wrote in message news:<aeedb3554e4345c91d27fab4fb4b8e68 at news.teranews.com>...
> One step at a time!  Maybe the Enviros will be for the forests instead of
> just the trees.  But I won't hold my breath.  Not a long as they continue to
> be PACs by another name.

More like ramrod:

http://www.peer.org/press/440.html

For Immediate Release: Thursday, March 18, 2004
Contact: Chas Offutt (202) 265-7337

FOREST SERVICE DROPPING ENDANGERED SPECIES, RIPARIAN & ARCHAEOLOGICAL
REVIEWS
Forest Service Will Self-Certify Compliance Under New "Streamline"
Plan

Washington, DC — The U.S. Forest Service is moving to eliminate any
reviews of its actions by outside agencies for compliance with
endangered species, clean water, and historical preservation laws,
according to a planning memo released today by Public Employees for
Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

Citing what Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth has identified as "the
Four Threats" (fire risk, invasive species, un-managed recreation and
loss of open space), the agency plans to jettison any consultation or
other "process" it deems unrelated to "the Four Threats."
Consequently, the Forest Service will end —

Endangered species consultation on "inland aquatic species with
both
Fish and Wildlife Service and NOAA-Fisheries." In addition,
building on a recently finalized rule waiving Endangered Species Act
consultations on fire-related activities, the Forest Service would
expand this no consultation stance "to all land management
activities;"
Environmental analyses of any herbicide applications done in the name
of controlling invasive plants; and
Compliance with Historic Preservation Act rules requiring review by
state agencies of protection of historical and cultural artifacts.
"The Forest Service fails to grasp the difference between streamlining
and steamrolling," stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch, arguing
that ending inter-agency consultation eliminates checks on Forest
Service abuses and leads to more litigation because lawsuits would
become the only avenue for securing agency compliance with resource
protection laws. "The Forest Service's track record makes a powerful
case for more outside review not less."

Taken together, this new policy takes the Forest Service in a
radically different direction from that articulated by the previous
Chief, Michael Dombeck, a fisheries biologist. Dombeck placed "the
health of our rivers, streams and lakes" as the guiding principle for
Forest Service management — an ecosystem approach completely absent
from the mechanistic formulation of "the Four Threats."

"The Four Threats sounds more like a Maoist slogan than a coherent
management philosophy," commented Ruch. "Healthy fish populations,
water quality and preserving our cultural heritage are important
values springing from our National Forests, not impediments to be
overcome."