Sierra Nevada Framework update

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 13:18:52 EST 2004

lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0405010605.4e0175ec at posting.google.com>...
> April 30, 2004   Greenwire
>
> Opponents appeal Sierra Nevada logging plan
>
> by Dan Berman

<snip>

> The 2001 framework was designed to protect old-growth stands and
> habitats for the California spotted owl, Pacific fisher, Yosemite
> toad, frogs, willow flycatcher, northern goshawk and other species.
> The Forest Service says 96 percent of the 1,321 protected acres for
> the California spotted owl will be maintained with the new plan,
> however, the plan also calls for reducing forest canopy in old-growth
> stands from 80 percent to 50 percent (Greenwire, Jan. 23).

Hmmm...Looks like a typo. There must be 1,321 protected AREAS, which
include generous buffers. For example, a goshawk nest gets 40 acres of
NO TREATMENT. In addition to that, they also get a 1200 acre limited
operating period where nothing goes on during nesting season. Owls
have similar protections. Many endangered species habitats fall within
the expanded streamcourse buffers present in both versions of the SNF.
These 50-300 foot buffers trouble me somewhat because careful
salvaging of dead and dying trees in these streamcourses might improve
some of those areas at risk to catastrophic fire, despite the less dry
conditions. Of course, those should be taken on a site specific basis,
like all good forestry should.