Forest Paradise lost - with napalm and Compound 1080

Louis Rrashidas at aol.com
Sat May 1 18:25:51 EST 2004

playing at work.edu (Doug Bashford) wrote in message news:<10965q72ngo9pd6 at corp.supernews.com>...
> Courage to those who speak up in Tasmania.
>
> Paradise lost - with napalm
>
> By RICHARD FLANAGAN
>
> I am writing this in our autumn, once Tasmania's most
> beautiful season. But the pure china-blue skies are
> now nicotine scummed, as the smoke from the burning
> of an old growth forest floats over Hobart in a dense
> pall and the city is lit by an eerie orange glow, an
> inescapable reminder that not far distant the total
> destruction of ancient forests­like no others in the
> world­is accelerating.
>
> In Tasmania, an island the size of Ireland, a land whose great
> primeval forests astonished nineteenth century European explorers with
> their incomparable beauty, an incomprehensible ecological tragedy is
> now being played out.
>
> Recent calls emanating from Britain to boycott Tasmanian goods
> and tourism are not going to end old growth logging. But in
> an Australian election year, when the fate of Tasmania's
> forests is emerging as a major election issue, they form
> part of the growing chorus of international condemnation
> that demonstrates to Australians that these forests are
> not just a natural resource, but globally significant wild lands.
>
> In Tasmania, rainforest unique in the world is being
> clearfelled and then burnt with napalm. Forests of
> the tallest hardwood trees in the world, eucalyptus regnans,
> are being reduced to mud and ash.
>
> The monocultural tree plantations with which old growth
> forests are replaced are soaking up so much groundwater
> that rivers are drying up.  1080 poison is laid to kill
> off native animals that threaten to graze the plantation
> seedlings. The indiscriminate slaughter that results sees
> not only possums, wallabies, and kangaroos die in slow agony,
> but other species­including wombats, bettongs, and
> potaroos­killed in large numbers in spite of being
> officially protected species, some of which are rare.
>
> The survival of extraordinary creatures such as the giant
> Tasmanian freshwater crayfish­the largest in the world­is
> now in doubt because of logging. Scientists warn that
> numerous insect species still unrecorded are disappearing
> in the conflagration. Local communities discover their
> water supplies contaminated with atrazine run off.
>
> This is an industry driven solely by greed. It prospers
> with government support and subsidies, and it is accelerating
> its rate of destruction, so that Tasmania is now the largest
> hardwood woodchip exporter in the world.
>
> Why is this happening? Because one company, a monopoly
> called Gunns, the largest logging company in Australia,
> is making record profits selling these forests as woodchips,
> which will in turn be made into paper and cardboard.
>
> But the woodchippers greed now destroys not only Tamania?s
> globally significant natural heritage, but distorts its
> parliament, deforms its polity, cows its media, and stunts
> its society.
>
> The extremely close personal relationship leading
> [...]

I am very disturbed to learn about clear cutting of Tasmania'a old
growth forests. It is sort of reminiscent of what happened to the
Northwestern forests of US and Canada and the rain forests of
Indoneisa. More disturbing is the threat of unemployment to those
Tasmanians courageous enough to protest such destruction. What can
foreigners do to speak their minds to stop this? Will writing to
Tasmanian government officials help?

A Concerned Observer.