Greetings from the Bitterroot NF

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 11:10:40 EST 2004

With an early spring here, we're seeing fresh beetle activity in
perfectly green trees. If we're seeing this in the miniscule patches
of timber we're working in, there has to be tens of thousands more
green trees dying outside the units. Add to that the older snags that
died in the fires and you have a catastrophic event in progress here.
We're also staying out of the POTENTIAL lynx habitat in the higher
elevations. Even though lynx hasn't been seen in most of those areas,
we're still not allowed to harvest dead and dying trees, even with a
helicopter.

Larry,    Forest Service feng shui expert <G>