"Natural forest devastation"?

Dano wxdano9 at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 13:56:13 EST 2004

lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message news:<7a90c754.0405271045.2a3f9b04 at posting.google.com>...
> May 27, 2004  The Salt Lake Tribune
>
> Western forests are in danger, scientists say
>
> by Don Thompson o the Associated Press
>
> KINGS BEACH, Calif. -- Western forests may be on the brink of epochal
> change, driven to permanent retreat in lower elevations by years of
> drought and decades of fire suppression that has made them vulnerable
> to a scourge of insects, scientists warned Wednesday.

[snip]

> Comment from poster: Good forestry can mitigate many of the impacts of
> drought through thinning, fuels reduction projects and controlled
> burning. Nowhere in the article does it even mention active
> management. Do these "scientists" really ever get out there in the
> woods (this decade)?
>
> Larry,    in the woods, everyday

Larry, I agree, but active management includes cutting large numbers
of small caliper trees and then doing something with those trees,
meaning re-tooling of mills and creating markets, etc. I, personally,
would avoid that topic when talking to a reporter, because it creates
tangents.

If the reporter is not fully familiar with the issue (likely), the
tangent can ruin the message. It is best to stick to one subject.
Perhaps you may want to contact those scientists to ask them about it
before you go passing judgement on what was said in a popular media
article.

Best,