"Natural forest devastation"?

Ian St. John istjohn at noemail.ca
Sat May 29 21:25:00 EST 2004

Larry Harrell wrote:
> "Ian St. John" <istjohn at noemail.ca> wrote in message
> news:<9p6uc.65843$tb4.2515519 at news20.bellglobal.com>...
>> Dano wrote:
>>> lhfotoware at hotmail.com (Larry Harrell) wrote in message
>>> news:<7a90c754.0405271045.2a3f9b04 at posting.google.com>...

>>> Larry, I agree, but active management includes cutting large numbers
>>> of small caliper trees and then doing something with those trees,
>>> meaning re-tooling of mills and creating markets, etc. I,
>>> personally, would avoid that topic when talking to a reporter,
>>> because it creates tangents.
>>

> Yep, we can't let facts get in the way of a good story.
>
>> Rather than retool mills to try to use the wood as lumber, why not
>> chip it and use it to produce 'cellose ethanol' as fuel??? You could
>> include everything down to the leaf litter!
>>

> Most mills have already been retooled and the amount of big log mills
> left in this country could probably be counted on two hands.

Gee. That isn't perhaps why they are so 'hot' on taking trees out as part of
the 'tinder reduction program' not would it. Finally admitting the main
economic focus of the 'new forest' initiative.

> In my
> part of the USA, Ian, cogen plants already get agricultural waste for
> pennies.

Then turn it into alcohol. I am merely pointing out the advantages, since
this would remove the 'tinder' instead of thet 'timber' and make money.

I really wasn't talking to you, Larry. I know your answer before you start
blubbering.