[Agroforestry] Re: tree cloning

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 01:57:20 EST 2005

In article <1129681823.576749.220350 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <nickjaffe at gmail.com> wrote:

>i was wondering if it was yet possible to clone trees? in particular an
>oak tree. we have a particular oak which is of symbolic nature which
>we'd like to somehow capture, as it it being destroyed by a housing
>developer. i think it might be possible to create a cutting, but the
>issue is that i am now in another country, and bringing a cutting
>through customs may pose to be a minor issue... does any technology
>exist whereby maybe i could get a leaf or a small part of the tree to
>someone for cloning? i know this may sound rediculous, but it is a
>genuine enquiry.

It is, and has been done for millennia.  As you have guess, taking
cuttings is the commonest form, but layering is sometimes possible,
and modern technology allows growing a complete plant from a single
cell (MOST plant cells are totipotent).

I recommend getting some cuttings taken, and arranging export with
a suitable horticultural agent who knows about phytosanitary
regulations and rituals.  Which combinations of country,
incidentally?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.